For my post today, I am going to post about 5 things that I use pretty frequently in my classroom and I love having them around.
1. Post – It Notes: I use these all the time to jot things down during class as well as an easy way to do a quick formative assessment check. My desk for school and my classroom are down the hall from each other so this helps! If I don’t write it down…it doesn’t happen.
2. Hanging File Folders: I bought these things a couple of years ago that has six folders attached that can hang on a wall accordion style. This allows me to put extra copies for students as well as those who were absent. It is great to have these so I don’t have to go back to my desk if I need another copy or something. I also train the students so I don’t get asked the question “Did we do anything important yesterday” since that one really bugs me.
3. Document Camera: This thing is so cool! I am so lucky that my school has these in our classroom. I get to show student work super easily. I love walking around the room and just grabbing a students paper so we can discuss what we like and what needs to be improved. I also use it to show how others may have solved a problem. I had a student that would go up there and show all of us like 4 different methods to solve the same problem…it was so cool!
4. My Tablet PC: I taught at a school that had one so I went out and bought one for myself. Whenever I write something, the students can see it when I connect wirelessly to the projector in the room. I love walking around the room and writing some important ideas or an example for students to see and I never have my back to anyone. It is really easy to give my tablet to a student and have them write something as well. It has drastically changed the way I teach and I couldn’t imagine not having one.
5. My Colleagues: I have an awesome math department and it is so great to be able to ask anyone for an idea and you get back 10 different ways to do the same thing. I am lucky to have them around consistently making me a better teacher. If it wasn’t for such great people to work with and learn from, including all of you in the mtbos, I don’t think I would be half the teacher I am today. Thanks for continuing to inspire me and make me a better educator!